Monday, August 8, 2011

Southern Fried Funk (1995-1996)

I have to post something about Southern Fried Funk. So many of my stories will reference this place. My friend Joseph Horowitz and I opened and ran a street wear/graffiti/hip-hop store. We opened in August of 1995 and ran thru July 1996 when our lease was up. We also did a graffiti zine by the same name, and the last issue actually got picked up by Tower Records and Books for world-wide distribution (I miss Tower).
S.F.F. sold street wear, graffiti magazines, videos, mixtapes and supplies. We also held a few kick-ass parties in the back space. We had city wide b-boy practices. It was the center of the scene that year.
I met so many amazing people in those 12 months. Some moved away to do big things and I lost touch over time. Others are doing big things, and we're still close today.
There was graffiti all over the space, and it was big inside. These few photos don't do the space justice. As I find more, I'll post them.
Southern Fried Funk - Store Front, August 1995 - sign by Rex2-TDK (at the time)
1517-B Church Street, now the left half of Play Dance Bar.
DJ Girl by Masev (now Masevo) - 1995, This piece is still so burning! Wish Masevo still painted. This was right at the front of the store and was the wall behind an elevated stage where DJs would play on special occasions. We set a table up with the green drum barrels. Notice the cracked glass door from an attempted crack-head break in. That block was not nice at night like it is today.
Criminal Minded Individualz" by GQue (R.I.P) and Vex-CMI, this was in the back party area.
Rex by Rex2-TDK 1994, also in the back room

5 comments:

  1. Omg. Me and my friend use to go to this place all the time. I remember Rex, he was cool. Wow talk about flashback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have an old xerox mail order catalog from this spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember ordering all of my graff supplies from you after seeing you had a graffiti supply store in your magazine I used to buy from tower records here in Boston before they closed. I actually still have some containers of caps I ordered from you to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to go in there and buy some caps n shit when I was a kid first place I ever bought a phat farm shirt used to smoke a lil trees n the back good times cool spot

    ReplyDelete