Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Tribe Called Quest - Nashville 1996

Last night I went and checked out the new Michael Rapaport directed documentary about one of my all time favorite rap groups A Tribe Called Quest. The film Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of ATCQ broke out the good stuff, especially the first 30-40 minutes. The animation by James Blagden (check this video he did) made it a trippy travel. It shows how ATCQ got together and how their rise was so quick and important to hip-hop. It really took me back to UT – November 9, 1993, THIS was on the same day!


Back in 1996 Tribe came thru Nashville (at now defunct Starwood Amphitheater) on the Smokin' Grooves Tour (with Ziggy Marley, The Fugees, Busta Rhymes). I got a press pass through Southern Fried Funk Magazine and got right up front to get some not-so-good pictures.

Here's a few of the better ones from that night. Sorry my camera kind of sucked, but the vibe and energy of the Tribe show still comes across (I think).
SUPPORT THE BELCOURT THEATER!

No comments:

Post a Comment